Moroccan Vegetable Tagine (vegan)
Packed full of flavour and heat, you will love this vegetable tagine recipe which is also suitable for vegans if you use a vegan vegetable stock. To make this recipe, you will need:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 1 bulb of garlic (10-15 cloves peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cut into 2cm cubes)
- 1/2 butternut squash (peeled and cut into 2cm cubes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Harissa dried spice blend
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 large can of peeled plum tomatoes
- handful of dates (chopped into 1cm pieces)
- large jar of soaked chickpeas
- 400ml vegetable stock (vegan or vegetarian)
- juice of half a lemon
Heat the oil in a large, deep sided saute pan, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, chopped vegetables, salt and all the spices and stir for a few minutes so everything is covered in the spices.
Add the chopped dates, tomatoes, vegetable stock and black pepper. Stir on a high heat for 1 minute until bubbling, and reduce to medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and leave for 30 minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas and lemon juice, and cook for a few minutes and then serve with a drizzle of olive oil. This dish goes really well with couscous and/or Moroccan flatbreads.